Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mother? May I NaNoWriMo?

I'm in a writing mood, and it's a good thing, too, because about two and a half hours ago, I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo for the first time since a failed and dismal attempt three years ago. While my previous story was basically going to be an allegory for the journey through Core I in the UCA Honors College (I was a PA at the time, so it seemed appropriate), this one is a little bit more realistic fiction. No fantasy shit going on.

Actually, after today, I really have no idea where this story is going to go. I had a really good run tonight: Got all the way to 1675 words, which is respectably above the 1667 words I need to write daily to make it to the 50,000 word requirement by the end of November.

My problem as it stands: I'm apparently writing a very serialized version of a story. For instance, the segment I wrote tonight begins and ends. It ends on a question mark, but it still ends. The 1,667 words I have so far can stand by themselves. I'm fairly certain that tomorrow when I pick up writing some more, I'll end up writing another compartmentalized story that can stand by itself. And so forth and so on ad thirty dayseum. Maybe these stories will intersect. I hope so. Maybe these stories will only have passing references to each other. I don't know. I'll let you know twenty-nine days from now.

Charles Dickens, eat your JJ Abrams heart out.

No comments: