Thursday, September 3, 2009

End Beck

Okay, I admit it. Whenever Glenn Beck was on CNN Headline News, the softcore version of CNN Real News, I had a tendency to head over to the channel to watch it and see what crazy things Beck was going to say next. I think he had about as much edginess as Nancy Grace. At least he has better hair.

I never thought that all that air-time I was giving him would give someone the idea that he should go mainstream. Now, he's on a more respected news station, and I can't even bear to flip through his channel in case he might be on (he gets to be a guest on a lot of other shows that aren't his despite him not really being an expert on anything). I actually get to channel 45 and manually hit 47 so that I don't accidentally give FOX any coverage. I'm worried that Beck might get his own newspaper.

So, for everyone out there that has to put up with his mindless rabble, I apologize. I thought he was harmless. When he was on CNNHN, his lack of depth and understanding was tempered by the fact that he was relatively soft-spoken. I guess now that he gets more viewers, he figures he should be more loud-mouthed with his lack of depth and understanding.

I'm not going to comment much on his lack of credentials and his singular ability to ignore everything that makes journalism...well, journalism....., but I will comment on one item because it's September and many patriots out there don't like people besmirching our recent history.

Because Obama signed into law a bill recognizing September 11 as "National Day of Service," Beck has been very upset stating that no one is up in arms about this and Obama did not consult anyone serious (and especially the families) when he signed this into law.

1) If he signed a Bill into law, then Congress first approved the bill. Therefore, he had de facto consultation with the Congress via the bill passing both Chambers. Since the Chambers are made up of politically motivated Representatives and Senators, they must have some support for this bill from the public.
2) Nobody is up in arms because there has been support for a National Day of Service as far back as 2004 and somce type of Remembrance Day since 2002.

As an additional, I find it reprehensible that Beck is feigning sympathy with the victims of 9.11 families on this issue when he has said in the past, "Oh, shut up. I'm so sick of them [the victim's families] because they're always complaining."

The real issue, as Beck demonstrated with his "Obama is a racist" comment, is that Beck has a deep-seated hatred for Obama and even though 90% of Obama's presidency has been indistinguishable from Bush's presidency (something I'm not supportive of) because it is from Obama, Beck hates it.

And because I (and others like me) found Beck humorous and harmless back on CNNHN, he now has a larger audience to spread his hate.

For that, I am truly sorry.

No comments: