Thursday, July 23, 2009

American Pessimism

After reading this little gem on teh Internetz, I have concluded that the vast majority of Americans just don't get it. Or at the very least, those that read the New York Times and decide to comment on articles. Me, I forwent posting a commentary on the website that nobody will read in favor of a commentary on my blog that nobody will read. It seems a fair exchange of words.

Right now, in some 30 states, a campaign is being waged entitled "Recession 101". Billboards have sprung up across America reminding Americans to think less about the recession. I, for one, have never improved my situation by worrying about it, so I think that this is a good reminder to people that things can and do get better.

Some of the gems include:

"This will be over long before those responsible are paroled."

"Bill Gates started Microsoft in a Recession."

"Self worth is greater than Net Worth."

All of these are great messages and serve as reminders on the road of life that maybe you should worry about something other than money. In my experience, dwelling on a problem makes it worse. That's why I don't even bother to count my money. I set up direct deposit, my bills autodraft from my account, and I know that I have a budget of $70 a week to live off of. I have no clue how much money is in my bank account. Hopefully, if I continue to live within my frugal ways, my new income from my job promotion will turn into incredible savings. I even just started a 401(k). PetSmart matches 50% contributions up to 6% of pay. I'm already vested because I've been there so long. I'm just awesome.

But I don't want to talk about the futility of counting money like it has actual value. It's a fiat currency, which is why they print "In God We Trust" on the bills. It's because the powers that be don't know if it's going to have any worth tomorrow. Fiat currencies are great for inflation...I digress again.

I want to talk about the extreme pessimism that people have towards these billboards. I mean, WOW!!!

A select few quotes that are indicative of the general commentary:

"Obviously the anonymous East Coast donor isn’t much affected by the recession if he (?) has the extra funds to underwrite this."
"The tone of derisive dismissal in the slogans is particularly galling, knowing its author is himself very rich."
"More trash for America — obviously this rich person isn’t being taxed enough to pay for medical care, close the budget deficit, support the WARZ — whatever….wonder does he take this money off his taxes — via his charity in which case those who pay their taxes and all the regressive fees are in fact subsidizing this nonsense. more info please…"

These are typical of the ad hominem attacks of people that are relative captives of the current economic mess and lash out at those they perceive as their 'Better.' Or, more correct, those they believe think they believe they are someone's better.

But if you look at the actual ideas behind the comments, these people consider those that fund the billboards as somewhat repsonsible. "You have money. We don't. Therefore, you must be doing something illegal/wrong/unethical," is the general psychology of these types of comments. It is interesting that these people aspire to the "Rich" class, while demeaning those that are there. One wonders if they will change the system once they get there. At least the third person asked for more information.

My personal favorite: "Well, let’s see, the REST of the story is the WHO part. Who is the anonymous donor of these signs? Whoever he/she/it is should have donated the money to help some people who are unemployed. HYPOCRITE!" Well, firstly, we don't know that this person isn't donating money to the unemployed. Secondly, should he stop giving money to the employed to give to the unemployed? Meaning, should he stop funding jobs by providing billboards so that those that are unemployed can stay unemployed? I don't understand the obvious lack of sympathy for the "Rich, billboard purveyor". I mean, he's doing a good service by pumping liquidity into the economy by spending money on billboars, which are expensive endeavors. I don't know all the financial ramifications of billboard economics, but I know that someone has to design the signs, someone has to construct it. I'm sure there is regular maintenance to perform. I'm also sure that the rent of the billboard itself is significantly higher than the actual cost associated with the constructive elements of the billboard. This translates to liquidity in the market. The property management can use the excess funds from the billboard to shore up liquidity in other areas that I'm sure the billboard managment company is involved in.

If I was an optimist and the type of person to makes a commentary on the New York Times site, I might make the following:
"Praise be the (wo)man, who in time of recession, chose to use his money to fund jobs in the billboard industry, forsaking actual advertisement and therefore, a return on his money; in favor of pure, un-adulterated donation of his hard-earned cash in the hopes of inspiring people to value people and relationships, over money."

Suze Orman sums it up for me: "People First. Then Money. Then Things."

1 comment:

pfrana said...

Right on. *ahem* I mean, of course you're just one of those rich fat cats and obviously a good ole boy and likely a member of the elite LR political class. (Who else could get a promotion in this economy?) You have nothing to worry about. Meanwhile I am trying to feed my family by posting 2,000 comments each night on Blogger as per my contract with Google, which is trying to make people feel good about their blogs by paying me to leave bogus comments. Your friend, Leslie